Where the Only Limit is Your Imagination

Baking is my new passion! The magical smell of cake in the oven, the sweet aroma of cookies, the clicking sound of the mixer combining ingredients....

... sugar all over the counter, flour sprinkled on the floor and my clothes, food coloring all over my hands and the table.... I'm a messy baker. lol. I cant help myself, but I love every minute of it!

Starting off as a cake decorator, I began my new found occupation in culinary cheating a bit, and used mixes quite often.If its not broken, why fix it, right? I was a decorator, not a baker. I quickly realized my joy was not only in decorating but also in creating the whole package, the design of the cake along with the flavor. It is incredibly satisfying to see people's faces light up when they not only see their cake but also when they taste it. I find great joy in it! (Making a buck or two isn't bad either. ) :)

Join me in my journey as I learn and experiment with not only cake and decorating but also other pastries. I will share with you my ups and downs, my accomplishments and my disasters! There will be disasters...



Sunday, April 17, 2011

Happy 2nd Birthday!

I don't have a lot to say about this cake, except that I made it for a very special little girl who will ALWAYS hold a place in my heart! 


I made it with chocolate cake and butter cream icing, and covered it in fondant. It was my very first "box" cake and I found that covering a square in fondant is SO MUCH harder than covering a round cake. I made the sides separate and  then pressed them to the sides of the cake. Next time I will let them dry longer so they will have a bit more strength , especially before trying to drive it 2 1/2 hours away! The sides did buckle a little because they weren't dry enough. Like I said this was my first experience in doing this, so lesson learned. I seem to be having a lot of "firsts" lately with cake decorating....and I always seem to learn a lesson from it when I'm done. lol. The bear's head was cake also, and the whole thing stood approximately 12 inches high and a 12 inches wide.  Hope you like it!








HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWEET GIRL!

No comments:

Post a Comment