Where the Only Limit is Your Imagination

Baking is my new passion! The magical smell of cake in the oven, the sweet aroma of cookies, the clicking sound of the mixer combining ingredients....

... sugar all over the counter, flour sprinkled on the floor and my clothes, food coloring all over my hands and the table.... I'm a messy baker. lol. I cant help myself, but I love every minute of it!

Starting off as a cake decorator, I began my new found occupation in culinary cheating a bit, and used mixes quite often.If its not broken, why fix it, right? I was a decorator, not a baker. I quickly realized my joy was not only in decorating but also in creating the whole package, the design of the cake along with the flavor. It is incredibly satisfying to see people's faces light up when they not only see their cake but also when they taste it. I find great joy in it! (Making a buck or two isn't bad either. ) :)

Join me in my journey as I learn and experiment with not only cake and decorating but also other pastries. I will share with you my ups and downs, my accomplishments and my disasters! There will be disasters...



Wednesday, March 9, 2011

About Me

Finding myself unemployed (and in my mid 30's....Shhhh, please dont repeat that little bit of info!), was quite unsettling. I had owned my own interior painting business and when the economy plummeted, so did my business. The phone stopped ringing altogether and I found myself wondering what I was going to do next to support my 2 children. Thank God I have a wonderful boyfriend that is there for my and supports all my decisions in this area of my life. Thank you, Walt!

Having a background in art and music, I really felt that I wanted to do something creative as an occupation, but what would I do and where would I find a job that I really loved doing? Its nice to "think" that way but was it realistic? I started thinking about it and one day it dawned on me that I had been watching every cake decorating show known to man on TV, and I obviously had an interest in it. The only difference is that it's a different artistic medium. I had never even considered a career in food before. Why not become a cake decorator? It looked to be very creative and a lot of fun to do! So I signed up for a few Wilton classes at a local cake supply store and learned the basics. I needed to learn the foundation of cake decorating. Every week was something new and interesting and I found myself not being able to wait until the next class. I had found a new passion and hopefully a new career. I worked VERY hard on my new skills and before I had even finished all the classes I had a job at cake decorating shop in Quincy, MA. I had found my calling! Unfortunately the economy had also taken its tole on the cake shop and it closed. So what would I do now? I LOVED that job! I was heartbroken. I began watching every video and looking at hundreds...no THOUSANDS of cake pictures on line to learn from and for inspiration. I started making cakes for friends and family. The orders started rolling in! I LOVE what I do, but I STILL need to find a job doing it!! I have decided to go back to school in the fall for culinary. I need to broaden my horizons even more. Fingers crossed that this will work out and I will find the job of my dreams once I graduate in 2 years. The strange thing is I will be going to college the same time as my oldest daughter!
I will share with you what I learn in the 2011/2012 and 2012/2013 school year. I'm sure it wont always be pretty, but hopefully it will ALWAYS be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment